Saturday, May 31, 2014

Apples & Oranges....but kindred spirits all the same!

I haven't even gotten the 914 back here to Wisconsin with me yet, and already I am finding some kindred spirits in the car hobby!

Just today for example, a fan and supporter of my writing sent me some pictures of the new "project" car her husband recently acquired. And just by chance, his new baby is much like the 914 I am trying to bring home myself.

His purchase turned out to be an all original 1973 Lotus Europa, "Big Valve" Twin Cam series. And just like me, he found his new baby in California! So after making the purchase, and having the car shipped to his home in Pennsylvania, he is now the proud new owner of a somewhat forgotten 2-seater....like I am trying to become with my 914.

Here is what the car looked like before being shipped. It appears to be a legitimate "barn find"...in an actual barn! LOL






After getting it home, it looks like he's got a bit of cleaning to do...but the car itself looks surprisingly in decent shape. (I am unsure of the mileage on this car...)







Now some of you may be wondering how I consider the owner of a Lotus Europa to be a "kindred spirit", when his car and my 914 are so different. But where others see differences, I see similarities. Yes the 914 is German, and the Europa is British. I get that. But both vehicles are 2-seat, mid-engine cars from the early 1970's. Both are somewhat forgotten by the majority of casual car buffs. And both have their dedicated niche following. Not to mention....both would likely be the only one of their kind at any local car show. 

So while he has an apple...and I an orange, together we both have an affection for some less than common pieces of automotive history. My only hope now is that he starts a blog to chronicle the restoration he'll be performing on his new Europa!

No comments:

Post a Comment